The information collected with this form is used to better understand what your goals are with Wellness Services and how to best support you. Selected data may be used to aggregate statistical reporting about client population. This reporting will not contain any identifying information about students. The information you provide to Wellness staff members, either verbally or in other forms (i.e. email) is confidential with the following exceptions:
1. I am required by law to report to the appropriate authorities any suspicions that a child (anyone under the age of 16 years old) has been or is being abused.
2. If you are in serious or imminent danger of hurting yourself or another person, I may need to reveal to appropriate third party (including your emergency contact person, your parents, and/or emergency personnel) enough information to help you.
3. If you are involved in legal proceeding, the court may subpoena your records.
4. Wellness Services works closely and consults with faculties and departments within Huron University College and Affiliate Universities/Colleges to coordinate services for students. As such, information about you and your needs may be shared with others within the University College on a need-to-know basis in order to assist you in accessing specific services. When possible, this will be done with your involvement and written consent. When referred to Wellness Services by a specific department or faculty within the university college, Wellness staff may confirm with the referral source (including Huron’s Early Alert Response Team) that they have met with you and that appropriate supports are in place.
5. Wellness Services takes seriously its role to foster a safe campus for you and for others. By seeking these services, you are consenting to the evaluation of the risk that you present to the physical health and safety of yourself and others. You may be referred to a specialist for further risk assessment evaluation; refusal to accept such a referral will be communicated to relevant university personnel.
6. Online or phone counselling: Wellness Services will do everything possible to protect your identity and keep all information confidential. However, it is not possible to guarantee 100% protection of confidentiality of phone calls or appointments via Zoom. Zoom for Healthcare (administered via Therapy Assisted Online) is an online platform that is PHIPA compliant. Both you and your counsellor are responsible for making the best effort to have a distraction-free and private environment when communicating by phone or other electronic means (e.g., alone, using headphones, in a private space). For privacy reasons, you may be asked to confirm identifying information in order for your counselor to confirm the identity of the new clients.
Wellness Services is accountable to the Associate Vice-President of Students.